Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

4/15/09

Matzo Ball Soup with Chicken and Bok Choy

I have been meaning to make matzo ball soup since last week, however I did not have any eggs left after I made a flourless chocolate cake for Passover dinner at Wendy's parents' house.

Then, over the weekend I bought a carton of eggs and finally yesterday made the Matzo Ball Soup with Chicken and Bok Choy.

Instead of using a mix for the broth that came with the boxed Matzo Ball Soup, I used the liquid left over from poaching chicken for Jenny's Chicken Dip.

I then added a few extra ingredients to the soup and something special into the balls. This turned out to be the perfect meal for the rainy weather we are having now in DC area...I mean seriously? 40ies and rain in the middle of April?




Ingredients
2.5 quarts of liquid (I used a combination of home-made chicken broth, vegetable broth and water)
2 celery stalks (just for flavor)
1 jar of baby carrot puree***
1 boxed mix for matzo balls (you'll need 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons of oil to form the balls)
1 tablespoon finely chopped dill (Thank you to Laura's roommate Danielle!)
1 cup cooked and shredded chicken (approximately one chicken breast)
1 cup chopped bok choy
salt & pepper to taste
chopped parsley

Directions
1. Follow instructions on the box to form matzo balls, but add dill!
2. Bring 2.5 quarts of liquid, celery and carrot puree to a boil. Drop matzo balls inside, cover tightly, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add chicken and bok choy and simmer for another 5 minutes.
4. Discard celery and serve the soup in a bowl garnished with parsley.

***Important note: the addition of carrot puree is Paige's idea! The carrot puree adds a bit of sweetness to the soup and gives the broth a slightly orange color. [Paige also taught me to add horseradish to mashed potatoes.]

Variations: you can add diced carrots, fresh peas, green beans or even broccoli to the soup. Instead of chicken you can also add tofu.

What is your favorite way to make matzo ball soup?

7 comments:

sj said...

yum! and never would have thought to add the pureed carrot! what a grand idea :) Thanks!

Sara said...

Baby food? Would have never guessed! I like the addition of the bok choy.

Unknown said...

I have never made matza ball soup but it looks amazing! Baby food is an interesting addition. :)

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Olga, this looks delicious. I've never made Mazo Ball Soup but this is going to go to the top of my list for my next grocery run. I have enjoyed your blog very much, and will come back often.

BlueToYou said...

actually you can use baby food for just about any pureed veg you need. its the pure stuff and although a bit more expensive, its a handy item to have on hand.

Passover said...

Looks good, I'll have to try that version of matzo ball soup. On my Pesach / Passover website, I have Pesach / Passover recipe library, and here are some additional variations of recipes for matzo ball soup :

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/passover/recipes-pesach/matzo-ball-soup-recipe-vegetarian.htmlhttp://www.angelfire.com/pa2/passover/recipes-pesach/matzo-ball-soup-recipe-low-cholesterol.htmlEnjoy getting full of matzo ball soup ! :)

Sincerely, Eli Ha-Levi, BA, M.L.I.S. (professional librarian)
Website: http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/passover/Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Kasey said...

I've never made matzo ball soup before, but I can never get enough of my mom's traditional take. That said, this looks like a fun twist (and I love bok choy!) You're got a lovely blog.